Are you an artist or organization with questions about POST? Below is a list of our most frequently asked questions.
When is the 2020 Philadelphia Open Studio Tours? The date of the tour depends on where your studio is located in the city. Learn more.
OCTOBER 10: NORTHWEST
OCTOBER 11: WEST
OCTOBER 17: NORTHEAST
OCTOBER 18: SOUTH
Who can register as a POST Participant? Visual artists, artist collectives, arts organizations and galleries are encouraged to join in Philadelphia’s annual celebration of visual art. Learn about the difference between registering as an artist and a community partner below.
What benefits do I receive for participating in POST? POST offers a behind-the-scenes glimpse at Philadelphia's best and brightest creative minds at work through an approachable, self-guided tour. Join us for the 20th Anniversary year of POST and be at the heart of one of the city's largest celebrations of visual art. With over 40,000 attendees each year, POST is the opportunity for you to connect with new audiences in an innovative way.
In addition to having the opportunity to share your work with arts enthusiasts, industry leaders, and collectors, you will receive the following perks during POST and year-round:
- Listing in Philadelphia’s Artist Directory and Open Studio Guidebook, with 7,000 copies distributed citywide
- Listing on the POST website (www.philaopenstudios.org), including contact information and images of your work
- Access to POST promotional materials for distribution to your networks, including POST Directories, postcards, social media content, customized press release templates, and promotional flyers
- Opportunities to participate in special events and exhibitions during POST
- Discounts on advertising in printed the Directory and Guide and on the POST website
- Considered for year-round visits with CFEVA’s donors and collectors
- Social media and web promotion of your Post-related exhibitions, workshops, and events
- Emails about artist opportunities, calls for submissions, and career development workshops
- And more! Keep an eye out for additional partner discounts coming soon.
What changes have been made in format of POST? Returning to POST? In 2017 we shifted from an East/West split to four quadrants: South, Northeast, Northwest, and West. Each quadrant will get one day to throw open their doors and shine, allowing visitors to fully engage in the unique culture of our each of our POST neighborhoods.
What does POST do to promote the Tour? We publish and distribute 7,000 copies of the full color Philadelphia’s Artist Directory and Open Studio Guidebook, and posters promoting POST across the Greater Philadelphia region. We manage the POST website (www.philaopenstudios.org) where you can find specific details about each participant, additional images as well as featured exhibitions, event, workshops and lectures. We promote POST to our extensive press and media sources highlighting a variety of aspects of the Tour. Connect with us: @PhilaCFEVA or #POST2020
What is the cost of participating? Artist and community partner registrations are $125 and include a POST Directory thumbnail. A thumbnail image is your opportunity to visually communicate with visitors the kind of work you create. This 1" x 1" thumbnail is printed in color above your listing in the printed POST Directory.
Interested in being more involved? Find out how you can get more for the same price with CFEVA’s Local Artist Membership.
What are the registration dates? Registration is now open thru May 31, 2020 to be included in the printed Philadelphia’s Artist Directory and Open Studio Guidebook.
Once I am registered, how often can I change the information on my listing? By logging in to your participant profile on the POST website (www.philaopenstudios.org), you can edit and update images and information as often as you'd like! Think of your participant profile as your personal page housed on the POST website. We understand that circumstances change; you create new work or change studio locations, for example. By maintaining full authorship of your POST artist profile, you are able to keep your information as up to date as possible and available to the public year round.
NOTE: Changes to participant profile information after June 14 WILL NOT be reflected in the printed POST Directory. POST will send a reminder to you prior to this deadline to ensure the accuracy of your listing.
Should I register as an artist or a community partner? An artist registration is fit for ONE ARTIST ONLY. A community partner is a collective, gallery, or organization that supports, encourages and promotes the visual arts in Philadelphia. If your organization does this, you are a community partner! If you are a studio building and you would like to register as a community partner you must have at least one artist registered for the event before you can do so. Community partner registration does not include individual registrations for artists within your building.
What kinds of images can I upload to the web?
1. Thumbnail: This image will appear above your listing on the POST website when the public is searching for participants by neighborhood or medium/type. Remember: for this image to appear in the printed POST Directory you must purchase a printed thumbnail ($25) before June 1, 2019. Web-only thumbnail images are included in your POST registration.
2. Profile Image: Let visitors will know who to look for when they walk into your studio! This image will only appear in your online profile.
3. Images of Artwork: Upload up to 3 images of your artwork. This allows visitors to get a better understanding of the type of work you make. Your profile goes live shortly after registration, so be sure to upload these images early and update them when necessary. Take advantage of this opportunity to market yourself all year long on the POST website!
If I share a space with another participant, what is the fee? Each participants must register individually. There are no discounts for group registrations. The benefit of registering individually is that visitors tend to gravitate to locations with higher densities POST registrants. By registering individually you are increasing the number of destinations in your neighborhood, and are thereby more likely to attract visitors!
Can I set up in another registered participant’s studio, but not register? No, we do not recommend or encourage this setup. It is in your best interest to register and officially be included on the Tour. This way you can attend all POST events, be considered for POST and CEVA events and exhibitions, and be included in POST promotional materials.
I want to participate, but I don't have an accessible studio. We want you to participate and CFEVA MAY be able to pair you with a registered Community Partner. Contact . Please note, CFEVA cannot guarantee placement and will only seek a pairing upon request each year.
The registration fee is a lot of money for me right now, but I really want to participate. What should I do? POST's registration fee is comparable to other nationally acclaimed open studio tours. We are committed to keeping the cost as low as possible for our artist participants, and as such have not raised the program's registration fees in more than five years. CFEVA is willing to work with you to fulfill your registration commitment in monthly installments. Please contact .
I want to participate, but I don't know where my studio will be in October. That's absolutely fine. Register now and you can always change your studio location by logging back into the POST website and editing your participant profile. Be sure to update your information by May 31 for an accurate listing in the printed POST Directory.
I participated in a previous year, but can't remember my log-in information. Your username should be in the following format: firstinitial(dot)lastname. (For example: j.doe) If you can't remember your password, you can request a one-time log-in using your email address. If you are still having difficulty, please contact or call (215) 546-7775 ext. 13.
I am registered but no longer wish to participate. What is your cancellation policy? There are no refunds for POST registrations or thumbnail purchases. When you fill out the registration form you are asked to check the "I read and agree" box alongside CFEVA's cancellation policy. In doing so, you have agreed to participate and forgo any refunds should your plans change. If you experience unforeseen circumstances that prevent you from participating, please notify us. We will do our best to help you find a mutually-agreeable solution.